Everyone wishes to be saved from something. Everyone. This is what I have come to realize during my conversations as a Motivational Speaker with people in different life stages. Our need for escape from whatever it is that plagues as at that moment – makes us do a lot of things – some good, some really stupid. I am so glad I found my escape in ‘spirituality’. Meditation for me, is like coming up for fresh air for someone who is drowning. It is that beautiful a feeling. And I make copious notes during my readings. Bringing to you 11 deeply inspiring spiritual quotes (both Hindi and English) that truly bring out the beauty of the divine. Also, try making it your escape. Hope you LIKE / LOVE it!
So, here they are:- ‘Deeply inspiring Spiritual Quotes’ :-
1. I think this poem very subtly defines spirituality. Being spiritual does not mean you give up all that’s life. A lot of people confuse it with renunciation and becoming a ‘baba’ and going to Himalayas. That’s just not the right idea. Spirituality and renunciation are about letting go of what’s unnecessary, of what’s not working for you, of the fringes – and only keeping that which helps you. Spirituality is about running too, but in the right direction and with a purpose.
I am running, running and running
I do not know where, I do not know why?
O, the embodiment of peace and prosperity!
Bless me with solitude for a few moments,
So that I can reflect upon myself & meditate upon you.
Thereafter, I can run still faster,
And with renewed vigor
But in the right direction
& with a specific purpose.
2. This one is about the nature of relationship that we men and women share with God. We foolishly keep asking for more, all the time forgetting how much we have already been so very generously bestowed with.
Main aur mere prabhu ek se hain,
Dono bhool jaate hain
Who meri galtiyon ko,
Main unki meherbaaniyon ko
(Translation: My God and I are both forgetful. He keeps forgetting my mistakes and I keep forgetting His blessings.)
3. This is one of my favorites. Only when I started making sincere efforts towards spirituality did I truly realize – how eagerly God is waiting for us to experience His joy and divinity. Those who are not ready to believe in Him can mock this thought and it’s okay. But those who have been seekers would know – the tremendous amount of truth in the following quote on spirituality.
Kitni mehnat se tu kamaata hai daulat ae insaan.
Thodi si mehnat kar khuda jannat bech raha hai
(Translation: Dear Human, You work so hard to earn money. Even a little of that effort and God is waiting to give you the heavens.)
4. My Guru, Sri Sri Paramhansa Yogananda Ji’s beautiful words about life and death and everything in between; and why you need to at least find out more about the path of spirituality before you dismiss it as something that’s not for you.
Don’t depend on death to liberate you from your imperfections. You are exactly the same after death as you were before. Nothing changes; you only give up the body. If you are a thief or a liar or a cheater before death, you don’t become an angel merely by dying. If such were possible, then let us all go and jump in the ocean now and become angels at once!
Whatever you have made of yourself thus far, so will you be hereafter. And when you reincarnate, you will bring that same nature with you. To change, you have to make the effort. This world is the place to do it.
5. It might be difficult in the beginning, but once you get a hang of it – it is totally worth it. In fact, you might just end up feeling – what was I doing all these years! What did I waste my time on? The sooner you start, the better –
You may control a mad elephant;
You may shut the mouth of the bear and the tiger;
Ride the lion and play with the cobra;
By alchemy you may learn your livelihood;
You may wander through the universe incognito;
Make vassals of the gods; be ever youthful;
You may walk in water and live in fire;
But control of the mind is better and more difficult.
6. Spirituality is just a way of life, that actually really works. It is the science behind good habits, the reason behind why living well actually leads to good results. Spirituality is mostly discipline and good habits directed towards positive behavior; no matter what anyone else tells you.
It is not your passing thoughts or brilliant ideas so much as your plain everyday habits that control your life… Live simply. Don’t get caught in the machine of the world— it is too exacting. By the time you get what you are seeking your nerves are gone, the heart is damaged, and the bones are aching.
Resolve to develop your spiritual powers more earnestly from now on. Learn the art of right living. If you have joy you have everything,so learn to be glad and contented… Have happiness now.
7. This is one of the most beautiful explanations of spirituality by Sadhguru. Simple, scientific and highly reasonable.
There are many ways to understand this. One simple way to know this is: today, if you lose your mental peace totally, you will go to a doctor. He will give you a pill. If you take this pill, your system will become peaceful. Maybe this will last just for a few hours, but you become peaceful. This pill is just a little bit of chemicals. These chemicals enter your system and make you peaceful. Or in other words, what you call peace is a certain kind of chemistry within you.
Similarly, what you call joy, what you call love, what you call suffering, what you call misery, what you call fear, every human experience that you go through, has a chemical basis within you. Now the spiritual process is just to create the right kind of chemistry, where you are naturally peaceful, naturally joyous.
When you are joyous by your own nature, when you don’t have to do anything to be happy, then the very dimension of your life, the very way you perceive and express yourself in the world will change. The very way you experience your life will change.
Every time I read it, I go ‘wow’!
8. If you ever manage to decipher the completeness of the following quote, you will never be sad or afraid or dismal ever again. One of the most powerful ideas of spirituality lies in this small little quote by Rumi.
Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
9. This just makes me smile; a very peaceful, far reaching smile. This is spirituality goals 🙂
My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.
10. It would be unfair to talk about inspiring spiritual quotes and not mention this dialogue between Mirza Ghalib, Allama Iqbal and Ahmad Faraz. It’s about the omnipresence of the divine; a concept that transcends all religions.
Ghalib sharab peene de masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah bata jahan Khuda nahi (Ghalib)
(Translation: Either let me drink inside the Masjid or tell me of a place where the Lord isn’t present)
Masjid Khuda ka ghar hai peene ki jagah nahi
Kafir ke dil mein jaa wahan Khuda nahi (Iqbal)
(Translation: Masjid is God’s home, not a place for drinking (or vices). If you want to drink, go to a disbeliever’s heart for the Lord doesn’t live there)
Kafir ke dil se aaya hun yeh dekh kar Faraz
Khuda maujood hai wahan, par usey pata nahi.. (Faraz)
(Translation: I have seen a Kafir’s heart. He is simply unaware that God lives in his heart too)
God is the goodness of our hearts, the purity of our souls. One doesn’t need to be labelled a ‘devout’ for goodness and God to reside in them.
11. Would a list of inspiring spiritual quotes be complete without the most beautiful lesson by Lord Krishna in Bhagavad Gita! Here it is, simplified by Devdutt Pattnaik in his book ‘My Gita’.
Arjuna, immerse your mind in me and I will uplift you from the ocean of recurring death. If you cannot do that, then practise yoga and work on your mind. If you cannot do that, then do your work as if it is my work. If you cannot do that, then make yourself my instrument and do as I say. If you cannot do that, then simply do your job and leave the results to me.—Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 12, verses 6 to 11 (paraphrased).
11 is too small a number to even touch upon the beauty of the spirit and the divine that has been talked about by the hallowed Gurus and saints who have walked the Earth. But it’s an attempt. I just want to leave you with these inspirational quotes on spirituality and urge you to explore this path, as early as possible. For there is no greater joy than the journey within.
I recently wrote this post: How to Meditate and Increase Mindfulness – Everything You Need to Know
I put all my questions and answers about spirituality and meditation that I had and that I got asked by me co-seekers on this path. If you are looking for answers, I guarantee you will at least find a direction. So do give it a read 🙂
Lastly, my thirst for the divine is always there. If you have any beautiful inspirational spiritual quotes you would like to share, the comment section is waiting for you!
Lots of Love,