Have you been a Hollywood fan? I have been one since childhood. Among my lists of favourite movies & scenes & actors, here’s my list of 10 most inspiring Hollywood dialogues. These inspiring Hollywood dialogues never fail to bring a reassuring confidence, that it is all going to be okay! Some of them are as old as hills. But, effective still. Read on:
1. Don’t ever let somebody tell you you can’t do something, not even me. Alright? You dream, you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period. – Chris Gardner, from The Pursuit of Happyness
If needed, become selectively deaf. Just believe in yourself and Rise & Shine until the lambs become lions. The moment you stop to seek validation for your dreams from others, you definitely start on the road to peril. Want to do something? Just go and bloody do it!
2. You cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours. – White Queen, from Alice in Wonderland
Too many people I see – living their lives trying to please others. Eventually, they forget what makes them happy. Don’t ever let that happen to yourself. There is a difference between trying to make someone happy & trying to please them. A thin, intricate line. Identify it. And try not to cross it.Choose the way you want to live. And then just go live it in the way you deem fit.
3. After a while, you learn to ignore the names people call you and just trust who you are. – from Shrek
I have been called so many names ever since I started my journey of a Motivational Speaker, I have actually forgotten them (except for a few really good and funny ones). People call you names because of their own insecurities. If you are calling someone with weird names because they are different – it is your insecurity. Think about it.And then, learn to overlook. When something isn’t about you – why waste time on it? Choose where your electricity will go! Your own goals & dreams or someone else’s frivolous name calling which probably won’t matter 5 years hence?
4. Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss. – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
I love these words. Because it reminds me of the countless interactions with my audiences where they talk about missed opportunities and what it has done to their lives. All of us have tremendous potential – let me tell you. The difference between successful & non-successful people is – the way we pick up opportunities.
Another secret, my dear reader, is the fact that to be able to grab onto an opportunity you need to be attentive to open the door when it comes knocking. If you are too busy on your Facebooks, Whatsapps, Blackberrys, Gtalks, Hangouts etc.- baby the nice old awesome opportunity has many takers!
5. To find something, anything, a great truth or a lost pair of glasses, you must first believe there will be some advantage in finding it. – All the King’s Men
I once did a TEDx which had a beautiful topic – ‘The Purpose of Purpose’. Why do we do what we do? That ‘Why’ is very important. The answer to these three letters can give you an immense sense of direction & also – what not to do. Be it a humongous step in life or something as simple as going for a movie.Find your purpose & decide whether it is going to take you in the same direction as your goals. If not – what’s the point?
6. “Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn’t quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.” – Frank Abagnale Sr, Catch Me If You Can (2002)
Adversities have a way of telling you who you really are. There is no point in being the first mouse. Try being the second one. What is the worst case scenario? You won’t make it / come out alive? If you don’t try – it is anyway going to happen. The odds of making it are much higher if you decide to give it a shot!
7. “There is no such thing as a no sale call. A sale is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client some stock or he sells you a reason he can’t. Either way a sale is made, the only question is who is gonna close? You or him? Now be relentless, that’s it, I’m done.” – Jim Young, Boiler Room (2000)
It is not just a lesson in sales. I think it is a lesson in everything. Are you relentless enough to not let go if you believe in yourself / your cause / your dream? Are you relentless enough to not stop until the Nos becomes Yeses? Do you have it in you to not let anyone else convince you that you can’t do it?
Need more motivation from salespeople? Here are some Motivating Lessons from Fantastic Salespeople.
8. Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear. –The Princess Diaries
I think it is good to be afraid. It means you have things at stake. And those eventually become your motivation. And the most beautiful part is – that fear also tells you about the joy that waits at the other end of the tunnel. So be afraid. But also understand why it is important to take that step anyway. And then muster the courage to see the light at the end of the tunnel and not just the darkness of the tunnel.
9. Fate! There is such a thing as fate, but it only takes you so far. Then it’s up to you to make it happen. – Can’t Hardly Wait
I absolutely love this one. It is such a long debate. Should you believe in fate or your own ability? I say – why not both?Fate will bring you to an oasis in the middle of the desert. But, only your own ability will help you take out water from that well. Fate brings you opportunities. Ability ensures you make the most of them.
10. “You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked two questions. Their answers determined whether they were able to enter or not. ‘Have you found joy in your life?’ ‘Has your life brought joy to others?’” – The Bucket List
If you haven’t seen this movie yet, please do! It is a wonderful, witty, awesome movie. And these lines – sum up human life in entirety. Adding value to the lives of others and finding joy in doing it.Try if you haven’t. I am pretty sure these questions do get asked (If Morgan Freeman says so 🙂 )
This is just not an exhaustive list of the most inspiring Hollywood dialogues. Share with me any that I may have missed which you believe is equally moving. And if you are looking for more on inspiration, do check out these blogposts.
And do share this with your people. You never know when inspiration can catch you unaware and push you on the road to awesomeness! 🙂
Rise & Shine