You wouldn’t believe what not having TV at home for last 6 years did to us. Not much, Just these 4 things:-

1. My son became a very good reader. He reads almost one book per day (in vacations). He has memorized some 1500+ difficult English vocabulary words at the age of 11. It would have been difficult i guess, had we given Ekta Kapoor & Reality Shows – the responsibility of his upbringing.

2. We sleep early, sleep more and sleep more peacefully. And we wake up more light & peacefully.

3. I meditate. Daily. Twice. And during meditation I don’t have to handle or attack ‘what I last saw on TV’.

4. Together we play more. Ludo, Cards, Carrom & our own discovered cute games. We discuss, analyse things & talk more. We eat better. More Bonding. At least a playground / space and a chance to create enhanced bonding.

6 years back, TV for me was a default setting. Return home- switch it on-see anything/ everything. I realized that TV was slowly becoming my misguided effort to calm and comfort myself. 4 out of 5 times I ended up becoming more numbed than renewed. The Ludo, the Pictionary & the bonding renew me better now than TV ever did.

Relatives and friends still don’t stop to give me this advice- ‘Akash! You are boring. How do you chill out? TV is important’ etc etc. They are right from where they are seeing. Possibly they haven’t seen the world from our eyes 🙂

Yes! News is important. But 90% of the news that appears on news channels is not required by me. The remaining 10% is required but not in the intensity or with the rhetoric with which it is presented.  So I trust the vanilla newspapers (next day) and News Apps (on mobile). And yes my son resorts to Hotstar for the few final overs of his favourite cricket match.

Nothing is right or wrong. Your decisions about how you want to do your life are entirely personal. The decision ‘To not to have a TV at home for last 6+ years’ is working for me. That is why I am SHARING with you.

P.S.- I read this morning that Star Plus is re-launching ‘Badey Achay Lagtey Hain’ in July 2017. Awesome! Go for it baby. You deserve Mr Kapoor 🙂

Akash Gautam

About Author

Akash Gautam is a Motivational Speaker & Corporate Trainer in India. Hundreds of Top Corporates like Google, CIPLA, Vodafone, McKinsey & Co., Maruti, HDFC, RIL, M&M & premier colleges like IIMs, IITs, SRCC etc go to him whenever they need a refreshing, big bang impact. Write to usWrite to us to know how he can transform your Team.

  • Shubhanshi Mishra

    hahaaah i corroborate 😀

  • Amit Jangra

    Akash Sir,

    I am sorry to say but this post addresses limited audience i.e Senior Citizen only.

    Social Media(FB, Youtube, WhatsApp etc) has already taken over the mode of time-pass than the obsolete T.V
    Social Media is your T.V today. Following trolls, entertaining pages, subscribing channels etc are your Ekta Kapoor’s serials.

    It’s not about the T.V. It’s more about the time how you manage. Priorities things and enjoy the journey -LIFE.

    P.S. – I also read last evening that Star Plus is re-launching ‘Badey Achay Lagtey Hain’. But that doesn’t interest me instead I went to play boxing 🙂

  • ghayalPremi

    I gave up TV 4 years back and we are much happier. I keep social media closed almost 22 hrs a day and just watch some movies/youtube for entertainment… otherwise the company of my partner suits best for me.. 🙂

Let's catch up...
Email Subscription
Drop your email address & receive my new Blog posts / Videos of my Talks - straight in your inbox. PS: Signup only if you are going to open my emails.
Join 50,000+ other followers.
Thanks for subscription!
Email Subscription
Drop your email address & receive my new Blog posts / Videos of my Talks - straight in your inbox. PS: Signup only if you are going to open my emails.
Join 50000+ other followers.
Thanks for subscription!
ARE YOU READY? GET IT NOW!
Increase more than 500% of Email Subscribers!
Your Information will never be shared with any third party.
Never miss a single blog post!
& receive them in your mailbox
Thanks for subscription!
Don't forget to sign up for my 'Happy E-mails'
Join 50,000+ other smart people who regularly pursue my life hacks, career advices & some non-conventional inspiration. They tell me that my emails help them bunk the junk stuff in life. Check for yourself.
Thanks for subscription!
Don't forget to sign up for my 'Happy E-mails'
Join 50,000+ other smart people who regularly pursue my life hacks, career advices & some non-conventional inspiration. They tell me that my emails help them bunk the junk stuff in life. Check for yourself.
Thanks for subscription!